Thursday, August 11, 2005

NFL Ambassador/ Singer Beni Arashiro

If you are at Tokyo Dome on Aug 6 for the NFL game between the Atlanta Falcons and the Indianapolis Colts, you'll see 19-year-old Beni Arashiro singing the national anthems of the United States and Japan before the game and taking part in a special performance at half-time.

In just 14 months, Arashiro has gone from unknown student to recording artist (with five singles), TV ad girl for Kose cosmetics and Glico confectionery and ambassador for the NFL in Tokyo.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com"When I was a little girl, I never dreamed I would be a singer or even in showbiz," says Arashiro who speaks fluent English. "Actually, I wanted to be in the FBI, or I thought I'd become a lawyer. But I always liked music, though. I have played the piano since I was six."

Born in Okinawa to an American father and Japanese mother, Arashiro moved back and forth between Japan and California. She completed her high school education in Kanagawa and is currently studying political science at Sophia University.

Her debut into the Japanese showbiz world came two years ago when her mother encouraged her to enter the Bishojo Club (a nationwide contest whose winners go into the modeling and celebrity worlds).

"Being a 'hafu,' I didn't think I'd do any good, but I thought it would be fun to give it a try," she recalls. To her surprise and delight, she was chosen.

Arashiro, whom everyone calls Beni-chan, says she has no problem with the term "hafu." "I remember some people used to call me a double, but I had no idea what they were talking about. I have both cultures in me and am proud of both. I guess I am more Americanized, though. My English language skills are stronger and I prefer English interviews because I can express myself better."

That's one of the reasons the NFL asked her to be its ambassador in Tokyo. She recently went to the States to promote the Tokyo Bowl and did some interviews on TV there. Performing in front of the Tokyo Dome crowd will be her biggest stage to date. "I love American football and really want to see the game but I know that up until half-time, I'm going to be so nervous," she says.

For the near future, Arashiro plans to concentrate on her singing career. All five of her singles so far have been in Japanese. "I haven't done a full CD of English songs yet. I am beginning to write my own lyrics. I'm better at doing that in English than Japanese. For now, I am still trying to find my own style."

She is also serious about finishing her studies. "When I am not at work, I study. I just finished exams last week. My schedule can get really hectic. Some days at the studio, as soon as I am done recording, I take out my laptop and do assignments."

On the rare days when she doesn't have to work, Arashiro likes soccer, hip hop dancing, shopping, watching movies and, last but not least, she is a big Harry Potter fan. "Of course, I got the sixth book last week, but I'm still on the 4th one. I have to catch up this summer."

No comments:

Post a Comment